To understand how SEO keywords work, you must first learn the different types of SEO keywords. There are three main types of keywords: primary, secondary and accessory keywords. Your keyword research will allow you to categorize your search terms and choose which ones are more valuable than others so you know which ones belong in which category. Keyword value can depend on many factors including search volume, keyword difficulty and keyword trends.
Types of Keywords
Understanding the difference between primary keywords and secondary keywords will help you during your SEO keyword research.
Keywords are broken down into three categories:
- Primary keywords - the main keyword that one page is optimized for.
- Secondary keywords - related search terms.
- Accessory keywords - aren’t directly related, less volume and less competitive.
The Do’s and Don’ts of Keywords
- When you find a primary keyword, there is often the urge to use it all over your site. But this isn’t helpful and is called “keyword stuffing”. There should only be one primary keyword per page.
- Keyword stuffing also refers to putting too many secondary and accessory keywords onto one page. This isn’t good either, as it can be obvious to the search engine and can put off your site visitors. The first rule of content writing is to write for your audience, not the search engine. Make it sound natural, even conversational, and slip in your keywords here and there.
- Know your limit. Not all businesses’ have keyword authority, so know what you are up against when choosing the top volume keyword. It is more valuable to choose keywords with a lower competition score that can help build your authority rather than getting lost in the search results.
- You don’t need to create hundreds of pages on your website to encompass all the primary keywords.
- If you’re optimizing for your primary keyword, you will often rank for secondary keywords even if you are not using them on the page.
- Secondary keywords can be even more important, they usually bring in more traffic than the primary keyword.
- The keyword research tool isn’t always right. Sometimes it can suggest a keyword that isn’t valuable for your business, so don’t get distracted by the large keyword volume number.
Choquer Creative will be giving you a thorough but easy-to-understand guide to keywords. From research to the actual implementation, we will be explaining how the process works and how you can utilize keyword research for your own business. If you don’t want to perform your own keyword research, we have in-house SaaS SEO experts that are experienced in digital marketing that can help you increase your lead growth.